Kroka Expeditions seeks an experienced Food Manager to join our team and take the lead on all things edible at our dynamic and growing organization. The Food Manager is responsible for inventory, ordering, preparation, and serving of food for Kroka’s semester programs, school groups, summer camp programs, and residential community while stewarding our ethic of locally produced, organically grown, and soul-nourishing ingredients.
Year-round with flexible hours between 20-40 per week throughout the school year increasing to full-time for the summer months.
- Plan and coordinate meal service for groups of 10-50 people based on a weekly seasonal menu
- Coordinate work rotation of kitchen staff, apprentices, and students
- Work closely with farmers to make use of homegrown produce and meats
- Inventory and ordering of kitchen and expedition ingredients from a combination of distributors, local purveyors and farms
- Mentor teachers and students in creating expedition menus and understanding food pack-out protocols
- Maintain order and cleanliness of storerooms including dry storage, walk-in cooler, refrigerators and freezers
- Develop and maintain relationships with purveyors and local farmers and coordinate food deliveries and pickups
- Steward an ethic of local, organic, and responsibly grown food that nourishes the soul
- Minimum 2 years food service experience in a community or educational setting including meal planning and cooking for groups of 20+
- Experience with kitchen management including ordering and inventory
- Experience cooking for a whole foods diet using mostly vegetarian seasonal ingredients
- High standards of food safety and cleanliness in the kitchen
- Able to be self-managed while working as part of a team
- Love of working with children and youth
Compensation & Benefits
$17-$23/hour, commensurate with experience with possibility to move into a year-round, salaried position. Kroka’s staff benefits include health insurance, retirement, paid vacation, health days & holidays, professional development, and many other benefits inherent in being part of a diverse and hard-working community. Subsidized on-campus housing may be available.