Kroka’s mountain biking and bikepacking programs require high-performing bicycles that meet certain specifications to ensure a safe and successful journey for all involved. This page contains some useful information about the specifications of a trail-ready bicycle.
BRINGING YOUR OWN BIKE FROM HOME:
You are welcome and encouraged to bring your own mountain bike to a Kroka bike program or semester. Please ensure bikes meet the following criteria:
- FRAME: steel or aluminum, sized appropriately to the student.
- SUSPENSION: front suspension is preferred; full suspension bikes are acceptable for one-week summer programs but not for bikepacking/expedition programs, including Semesters.
- TIRES: 27.5 – 29″ wheels with trail-ready tires, 2.4″ minimum (2.6-3.0″ tires preferred). For SEMESTER ONLY: Tires must be new–or have very little use–and be tubeless.
- BRAKES: disc brakes
- GEARS: 10 speed minimum
- PEDALS: platform pedals with spikes
Bikes must be professionally tuned before coming to Kroka so they are ready to ride! If you are bringing a bike from home, please upload a photograph of your bicycle to your Portal so our biking staff can make sure it is suitable for the program.
- Bike helmet
- Bike water bottle and holder
- Spare inner tube in case of flats
- Optional: padded bike shorts
HOW TO RESERVE A BIKE:
For summer programs, bike rentals can be done through your Portal, or by emailing email@example.com. For Semester programs, bike rentals can be done through your Portal, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the student’s height so we can ensure we have the correct size available.
P.S. Not totally sure about the specs of your bike? Call our Bike Wizard any time at 603-835-9087!